Monday, February 6, 2012

Cauliflower and Broccoli Puree

I’m recovering from a touch of stomach flu I got over the weekend.  While in the middle of flu, you don’t want to eat.  When you’re wrapping up the ailment, you are hungry but for only certain things.  I want grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, cookies and the like.  Clearly I’m not having those, but one thing I was trying to justify eating was a bowl full of mashed potatoes.  Ah, cream and butter and salt…so yummy!

Luckily, I ran across this recipe for mashed cauliflower from I Breath...I'm Hungry.  Now, you may have already tried mashed cauliflower as the obvious low-carb substitute for potatoes and wished you hadn’t.  I admit to a certain skunkiness in cooked cauliflower.

This recipe is different!!! 

But I had a dilemma; I didn’t have a whole head of cauliflower.  I had leftover cauliflower and broccoli florets I inherited from a vegetable tray at a meeting I attended last week.

So, I used the cauliflower AND the broccoli.  The result:



Yumminess in a bowl.  And very filling.

This would make such a great topping for a low-carb version of Shepherd's Pie.

3 comments:

Adrienne Shubin said...

Sorry to hear you were ill!

I love this idea. Mashed fauxtatoes do get old after awhile. I think I'll try these to mix things up a bit.

Anonymous said...

And to make it worse, I now have a sinus infection. When it rains, it pours, non?

I'll eat mashed cauliflower because it is a vehicle for cream and butter and salt. But this recipe is so awesome! I just happened to have the Dubliner cheese on hand, too, but I think you could use any high-quality, "stinky" cheese. A couple of dollops of blue cheese would accent the vegetables and may be a good side dish to bbq chicken.

~ B. said...

Well that's no fun that you were sick! I think I actually have both broccoli AND cauliflower right now! Hooray! I am so going to try this one!