Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sick of salad yet?

It's that time of year!

Welcome to winter.  If you can’t fathom the idea of one more salad, let me remind you that the oven and the roasting pan are a low-carber’s best friend.  I don’t own a crock pot, and am not in a frame of mind to go purchase one at the moment, so I am sticking to eating roasted meals for the duration of the season!

My short list for this winter includes a weekly rotation of
·         Roast chicken that’s been stuffed with onion, garlic, lemon and thyme
·         Roast turkey breast roulade, stuffed with sausage, wild mushrooms and celery
·         Brisket with stewed tomatoes and…stop, you had me at “brisket”
·         Roast mahi mahi that’s been wrapped in thinly-sliced pancetta

After you have roasted your protein of choice, do not omit the final step: creating a reduction sauce from the yummy pan juices and bits.  Remove the beast, put your pan on the stove, add a splash of chicken broth or wine (or both), scrape the pan until it comes together, add a small bit of butter, taste for seasoning, and you have sauce.

I like these roasted meals because I can also multi-task the oven with a baking sheet teaming with green beans, mushrooms and red peppers, and I have dinner cooked for a couple of days.  These are “company worthy” meals for your guests who are not low-carb eaters, and all you need to do is add some steamed rice to round out the meal for them. 

Rebekah

3 comments:

Adrienne Shubin said...

This an area in which I lack experience and skills. I am not a roaster. But this post has made me want to become one.

I think I'll try a brisket first; something that cooks slow that won't require much talent or attention on my part.

Thank you for the tasty ideas!

Anonymous said...

A - Ina Garten has a great brisket recipe!

Sulky Kitten said...

I love brisket, it really is easy and so tasty. Even better the day after,I'm saying this from memory, as I'm so greedy I rarely leave any!