Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mourning High-Glycemic Carbs

livestrong.com

You’ve read the low-carb books and seen the dramatic before-and-after pictures.  You dive in and embrace bacon and coffee with cream.  And then it hits you.  “I’m not going to be eating buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar anymore.”  And you are depressed.

Let’s recognize that we will be mourning the disappearance of big, fat carbs from our lives.  Some of you may be able to reincorporate them in your life, but many of us will not.  And the sooner you come to terms with it the better.

I made a list:

·         Toast with high-quality butter; also, crumpets with butter and jam with tea
·         Pina coladas
·         Salted caramel mocha frappucino
·         Fettucini alfredo
·         Bucatini with anything
·         Yorkshire pudding
·         Rice pudding
·         Chocolate pudding
·         Basically, all pudding

Now, make another list of food you thought you couldn’t eat but now eat with relish:

·         Bacon
·         Cream in coffee
·         Hollandaise sauce over grilled fish
·         Beurre blanc sauce over grilled chicken
·         Guacamole, guacamole, guacamole
·         Boeuf bourguignon
·         Chili with a dollop of sour cream
·         Berries and cream – whipped or otherwise
·         Buttered green beans
·         Butter on everything

The above list is thoroughly enjoyed with smaller thighs and waist.

I don’t sit and pine for the days of buttered toast because I now know that the low-level of perpetual bloat I lived with was keeping me from enjoying a life free of intestinal discomfort and arthritis in my knee.  Hmmm…buttered toast, or springing from a step into the car without a twinge of pain. 

I don’t crave things I can no longer eat because I’m mentally superior or more mature; I just do not miss my body on toast.

If you are crying at the thought of the foods you are no longer eating this holiday season, especially if you are forced to sit next to a thin relative stuffing crescent rolls in their mouth, I suggest taking a walk by yourself or grabbing an hour alone where you can make a list of the food you are mourning. 

Look at it, acknowledge it, and come to terms with reality. 

And then make that second list of new foods you will be embracing and enjoying.  Don’t forget a third list: how much better your body feels without those toxic foods polluting your ability to live a real life.

Rebekah

8 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Rebekah, hello from San Antonio!! I am so excited about your blog. This is the type of eating I plan to begin right after Christmas. A friend of mine just lost 30 pounds eating this way and he feels great!! I look forward to reading more!

Marguerite said...

Congratulations ladies, on the new blog. I have been interested in low carb living for a while now. Actually the book by Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat", got me started. It just makes so much sense. Another book has come out with a similar message called "Wheat Belly". All I know is it's not easy, but it works for me. Thanks for your efforts!

highheeledlife said...

Congratulations on your joint venture! Looking forward to your posts on eating healthier!! Especially since my goal for 2012 is to go down 20 lbs. much success to you both..xo HHL

Anonymous said...

So excited about your new blog, adding it to my blogroll now. Love this post!

Anonymous said...

Hi there-your new blog is very timely. I just finished reading "Why We Get Fat" yesterday. It'll be a challenge, as I can't do dairy. Looking forward to the journey toward health.

Anonymous said...

Pam - Howdy to another central Texan. Low-carb isn't too bad in our location because we have BBQ!!!

Marguerite - I haven't read cover-to-cover the books you mention, but I am very familiar. I can't believe how much our society relies on low-fat wheat and corn products for nutrition, resuling in us killing ourselves with food. Do you recommend those two books as reading material in addition to Atkins?

High Heeled - The pounds melt off as you drink coffee with cream and butter your broccoli.

lowcarb - You, darling, continue to inspire us!

Trish - Your new friend is coconut milk - the full fat kind. I buy a case at a time from Whole Foods. It works in making a sauce, a smoothie, coffee, over berries. You can even whip it to be a sloppy whipped cream. Look for a future post on this.

~ B. said...

Fabulous idea to make a list like that! You girls are so wise! :D

Anonymous said...

So glad I found this ~ I follow Adrienne's blog, and linked to it from there. I know low-carb works for me, and will be following this blog. Thanks.