Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Low Carb Chili

Like most people, during the fall and winter months I gravitate to warm and comforting foods. A crock of hot chili topped with minced onions, a rich dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese and a green salad is one of my favorite cold weather meals.

This recipe is adapted from my mother's. She would make a big batch of it on a fall or winter Sunday and freeze what was left to serve later...that is, if there was anything left to freeze.

My mom wrote down my favorite
recipes of hers many years ago.
Can you tell I've used this one a few times? 

I exchanged the two cans of red kidney beans for one can of black soy beans. At 8 carbohydrates and 7 grams of fiber per serving, they are a great low carb alternative to traditional chili beans. I don't like to eat lots of soy, but I do like to have beans in my chili so I throw a can in for texture and fiber's sake.

My mom uses one green bell pepper in her recipe and I upped it to two for mine. I also added extra garlic. Feel free to use less if you want.




Low Carb Chili

1.5 pounds organic ground beef (you may also use ground turkey)
2 green bell peppers, diced
2 medium yellow onions, diced (about 2 cups)
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 - 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes*
2 - 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce*
3 to 4 tablespoons mild chili powder
1 - 15 ounce can of black soy beans, rinsed
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
hot sauce to taste - if desired

In a large dutch oven or soup pot, brown the beef along with the onions, garlic and bell pepper on medium to medium-high heat.

Once the meat is browned, add the rest of the ingredients, except for the hot sauce. Stir well, reduce heat to simmer and cover for two hours, stirring every 20 or 30 minutes.

After two hours, remove the cover, and add hot sauce and salt and stir. Let simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.

Remove bay leaves and serve with cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream, or any desired low carb topping.

*always check labels at the market for the lowest sugar and carbohydrate content. 






Adrienne 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We haven't been able to navigate beans too well - including black soy beans. It's too bad because they can be so nutritious.

We eat chili on a weekly basis in the winter. It's such a yummy, hearty dish. I'm partial to slicing 1/2 of an avocado on top.

Adrienne Shubin said...

Rebekah,

Beans can be a tricky food when you're low-carbing it. I only really eat black soy beans with this chili. Next time, I'll make it without beans and add some avocado on top like you do....love avocado. Great idea!

highheeledlife said...

YUM!! Chili is a go to during the cold winter months.. love the healthy alternative you have offered. xo HHL